Friday, March 30, 2012

Recommended Reading for Training Your Dog

We can all agree that there is no shortage of available dog training advice and material.  From the many different books, websites, television shows and even your well intended friends or family members.  If you are looking for dog friendly training that builds a trusting relationship with your canine friend, then the list below is for you.

I highly recommend any books or videos by the following Professional Behaviorists/Veterinarians:


  • Patricia McConnell 
  • Karen Pryer
  • Jean Donaldson
  • Dr. Ian Dodman
  • Dr. Nicholas Dodman
  • Stanley Coren
  • Karen London
  • Sophia Yin
  • Kathy Sdao
  • Sue Sternberg
  • Brenda Aloff
  • Suzanne Clothier
  • Turid Rugaas
  • Victoria Stillwell
I recommend you read the description on the book or article so you know you are choosing one that fits your level of understanding.  I have personally met each one of the authors above with the exception of Stanley Coren, although I have 4 of his books!

Why is Ceaser Milan not on my list?  I believe he makes stressed out dogs submit to their fears.  While correction training inhibits the unwanted behavior instantly, it does not change the emotion which is causing the dog to react or behave the way it is.  I believe saying "no" without offering a more acceptable behavior is frustrating and increases stress.  For this reason, I prefer a more scientific approach  using Classical and Operant Conditioning which have proven positive results.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment