Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Personal Space

KT trying to be friendly to Pablo.

These 3 photos were taken one right after another just a few months after I started working with KT (Fall 2009). KT asked for a photo of my dog Pablo for her new flyer so we opened the back of my truck and I took this photo.  As you notice from Pablo's body language here in the car, he is not very comfortable having KT in his personal space.

Seeing his body language, I moved him to the ground to help him feel less confined.





Keep in mind that this dog had met KT many times before, yet his reaction is clear in these photos.

Notice the look away in this second photo, tongue flick and ears drawn back.

Notice also how much she is leaning into his space, although she is trying to get low for him, he is not very happy about this intrusion of personal space.  KT's body language is normal for humans, but not so much for many dogs.
Here Pablo lifted his paw in a submissive gesture, as he looks and leans farther away from her.  Now his mouth is closed tight and he appears to be saying "just take the --- photo" or in canine words "I hope this ends soon".  It was time for me to give him a break by calling him to me to create space.

I always create space for him so he feels safer when he is in a situation he is uncomfortable with.  I have had hundreds of people toss treats, hand feed and touch and treat him so he has a positive association with people.  So, while many dogs tolerate people petting them, many do not enjoy it as much as the human does.

No comments:

Post a Comment