Friday, May 25, 2012

Teaching Your Dog Behaviors

Telling your dog he did something right and rewarding his behavior will help your dog know what it is you want from him.  Saying "yes" or marking the exact behavior with a clicker then following with a reward will help your dog learn faster.  
In this video, I am using a clicker to mark many different behaviors from my dog Pablo.  Once I have him performing the behavior reliably, then I put a cue word to it so I am able to ask for the behavior.
Many of these tricks took a series of sessions to teach and you will see some are still a work in progress!  The key is to make it fun for your dog!

Timing and repetition are very important as you want to click or say "yes" just as the behavior happens!  Practice several repetitions in a row so your dog understands what it is you are rewarding.  Practice using your dogs meal rather than feeding him out of a bowl, you will be amazed how smart your dog is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment